Posts tagged GF
Posts tagged GF
My parents were never big on eating breakfast during the week when I was growing up (really, they still aren’t - I think they run on coffee). Even so, I have some great memories of family breakfasts when I was a kid. When we did have breakfast on the weekend, I always loved my mom’s buttermilk pancakes. Now that I’m vegan those aren’t an option, but I love making these fluffy vegan pancakes instead!
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
(makes about nine)
1 cup flour (for gluten free, use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax, 3 tbsp water)
3/4-1 cup nondairy milk, depending on how thin you like your pancakes (Use 2/3-3/4 if using gluten free flour)
2 tbsp oil or melted margarine
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
scant 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix up the flax egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, and wet ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Form a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients in. Whisk to combine.
- Spoon batter into a pan over medium heat. Flip the pancakes when the edges are dry and bubbles pop on the surface of the pancake.
- Eat with syrup and fresh fruit. Enjoy!
Notes: You can store any uneaten pancakes in the freezer. The best way to reheat them is to put them in a dry pan over medium heat or in a toaster; the microwave will leave them floppy. Also try mixing things into the batter - I like to add blueberries or chopped bananas and nuts!
Nutritional info is for one pancake if you make nine, using 3/4 cups soy milk and all purpose flour.